Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Why Setting Goals is Like Playing Poker


I'm in the middle of watching the 2010 World Series of Poker Main Event on ESPN. Like several other shows, it's starting to get backed up on my DVR like dirty dishes in the sink. I really do wish I had enough time in my day to loaf around and watch a bunch of middle-aged white men play cards, but I do have a living to make.


I also recently stumbled upon this intriguing TED talk by Derek Sivers. In it, he talks about how it may be more effective to keep your goals closer to the vest. In essence, sharing your goals with people makes them less likely to happen.

Interesting.

You know, in the age of Facebook, with millions of people blabbing about how they're going to hit the gym today or start a new diet, it's like we're all out there just begging for validation. In his talk, Sivers mentions research showing that when you share your goals with people in a similar manner, you get the psychological benefit of completing the goal upfront. The recognition, the pats on the back, the "atta boy." When you've got the reward up front, you lose the motivation to actually complete the goal.

I'm not convinced, however, that sharing your goals is detrimental in every situation. Sometimes, it's all about the motivation behind sharing your goals. What about if you share a goal with someone so they can hold you accountable?

When I set a goal to run my first half marathon, I printed off the date of the half on a sheet of paper in 70pt font and plastered it on my wall at work. For weeks, people would walk by and ask what the date was for. I told anyone who asked that I expected them to come ask me on a regular basis how my training was going and how many miles I was up to. It held me accountable. There were days when I didn't want to run, but I knew there were people out there who would be asking the next day about how my run went. I had to do it. In that case, sharing my goal turned out to be a good thing.

That's why setting goals is like playing poker.

Some smaller and more generic goals, like finally getting to the gym or deciding to eat better, probably would be better served by holding them close to the vest. That way, if life gets in the way and you don't get around to it, you haven't pushed all in on a hand that can't win. But sometimes, you want to show your cards, just to let everyone know you're not bluffing.

Take your goal-setting seriously. The more goals you set and don't meet, the less likely you are to set and keep new ones, even the ones you really think you're going to keep.

So think about that next goal you set. Is it one you're really serious about? Serious enough that you're willing to let someone hold you accountable?

Achieving your goals. Now that's a great way to....have a well day.


Photo via Flickr user Plutor

0 comments:

Post a Comment