Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Little About Me


Who is this guy?

Well, by day I'm a freelance writer, specializing in health and wellness. That's right, I write about this stuff for a living.

By night I'm a husband and a dad to two of the most amazing kids on the planet.

Why did I start this blog? It wasn't but a few months ago that I realized my own life was out of balance. I was in a job I hated, I was fat and lazy, and I wanted to do something about it.


Oh, I had dieted before. I had tried getting into creative writing. But for some reason I could never succeed at it.

Then, I decided to just jump off the cliff. At my wife's coaxing, I signed up for a half marathon. Was I crazy? I must have been, because up to that point, I hadn't run more than a half mile at a time since middle school. I was 240 pounds and the thought of stepping on the treadmill petrified me.

But an amazing thing happened. I decided to make a change.

I started training. I lost 65 pounds. I left my job and started a full-time freelance career. Oh, and that half marathon? I ran it in under two hours, beating my goal by almost three minutes.

Suddenly, I found balance in my life. I'm able to spend more time with my family. I'm making more money now than I ever have.

And it's all because of one small, simple decision to make a change.

The principles of living a well-balanced life aren't complex. It's the making it happen that's hard. It's the convincing yourself that you're worth it that trips us up.

Start today. Make a decision today that you're going to change. It's possible. I did it. You can, too.

How are you going to make a change today in your life?

Start by deciding to...have a well day.


Photo via Flickr user Okko Pyykkö

2 comments:

Borneo rain said...

hi james, i stumbled upon your blog some time ago, and am glad that you started blogging again. i am hoping to lose weight (a good 60lbs or so), and i find your experience inspiring. good on you! and keep up the writing...

James said...

Hi Borneo!

Thanks for visiting the blog. Good luck on your weight loss journey. Let me know if there are any areas you'd like some particular tips or advice about and I'll be sure to add it to my list of ideas!

Post a Comment